2.14.2012

Location Based Programs

Foursquare, foursquare, foursquare. I kept hearing that word and I kept thinking, "the game?" I just found out that the answer to that is no. Foursquare is a child's game, but it's also something much more than that. I researched this up-and-coming phone app to see what all the buzz was about.

At first, I was weary of ANOTHER site that accesses your current location but this seemed pretty legit to me. Foursquare allows you to view restaurants, clubs, stores, etc., and see what ones have specials or deals going on at that time strictly for their customers. You check-in to receive the deal time and time again. After you have been to a place so many times, you can receive points and badges and if you visit a certain place more than anybody else, congratulations, you are  now the mayor of it!

I gave in and downloaded the app onto my iPhone4S to begin the fun. Since I live in such a small place, there wasn't many deals around but searching larger cities, the deals became more and more frequent. I'm excited to continue to use and explore this new app. And now when I hear the word "foursquare," I will no longer think of little kids playing a game.

#foursquare #socmeddiscuss #GPS #iphone

http://aboutfoursquare.com/foursquare-101/
foursquare.com

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know you received deals until yesterday. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I thought of the kids game too when I first heard of it. I find it interesting that a business can create deals and promotions through these programs. With only a small amount of people who are on these programs I would be curious to hear how profitable such a campaign is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a great 4 Square deal at Chili's Bar and Grill! I agree that sometimes there seems to be tooo many social media sites to keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foursquare is the shiz! Especially when businesses promote it with a "check in here for ______ for FREE" I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Foursquare! great post. Just this semester I heard about foursquare, and I loved reading more detail about it. Thanks for the info :)

    ReplyDelete