3.21.2012

Collaborative Communication Tools

For 18 months of my life I lived in another state with people whom I previously had not known. I was allowed to talk to my family two times a year - Mother's day and Christmas. It was hard but one social media tool made those two conversations that much better - they call it Skype. For one hour on each of those holidays, I was able to Skype with my family. They would put the laptop on our living room chair and it was almost like I was home. In recent years, communication has majorly changed. Instead of land-lines, we have cell phones. Instead of conference calls, we have Skype calls. Instead of a quick hello and good-bye, we have FaceTime. The world is changing. 

Something I love about my recently purchased Iphone 4S is the FaceTime feature. According to the Apple website (link) FaceTime allows you to be in two places at once. I love that even if you are in China, you can catch your kids baseball game or see your daughter dance at her recital. Companies can use it to show each other products while at shows. You can use it between any apply product making it versatile for many people.

My one-year-old nephew lives over 1000 miles away in Washington, D.C. and the only way I get to see him is via Skype. Some advantages according to this website (link) of Skype is downloadable and free software, it have very low costs, and it does video calls and file transfers. The only setback with Skype that I've experienced is the delay that happens periodically.

Overall I am really enjoying the way the world is going with collaborative communication tools. They help me see what I otherwise wouldn't be able to. 

#socmeddiscuss #skype #FaceTime #apple

5 comments:

  1. FaceTime is my favorite! My two-year-old thinks she needs to see the person I'm talking to every phone call I make. She just thinks it's how phones work! I like that you added how Skype improved your conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skype and FaceTime are fabulous. I'm addicted to my iPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and love how connected we can be! We skype in my sister who lives out of state all the time at family parties which is really cool! Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Distance Communication tools! & this post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise Skype. I've only used it in meetings so far, guess I need to educated my fam on how to use it.

    ReplyDelete